Matching Curtains to Bedding?

Betty

Do you guys insist on matching the curtains in the bedroom to the bedding? I used to ALWAYS buy the coordinating window treatments whenever I bought new bedding, but it's just so expensive! At the moment I just have generic black curtains hanging on the bedroom windows. They show dust worse than anything I've ever seen but at least they match with all our bedding.

OCDQueen

We just have beige blinds on the windows. They pretty much match anything we might want to put on the bed. Window treatments are too expensive to change them too often.

MakeDoQueen

I usually use a solid color on the windows, that goes with the walls and carpet. Then whenever I have to buy new bedding, I just make sure it goes with the rest of the room, and it always looks fine.

Betty

MakeDoQueen - Those were my thoughts when I bought black curtains. I have white faux wood blinds behind them, so it doesn't really matter what design of bedding we go with. Technically, they always match. ;-) Sometimes I still wish they coordinated, though. Black curtains and white blinds look a bit funny together, at least to me.

SusieQ

Like you Betty, I used to insist on everything matching. However, I like to change bedspreads several times a year and changing curtains just became too big of a hassle. I now have white mini blinds at each window with white sheer drapes as well. That works with any bedspread I have.

Hypolita

I think as long as they complement the other colors in the room, you're good to go. I've never purchased matching curtains and most of the time we just have blinds anyway.

hothouse

I don't like anything to match in my bedroom, furniture and all. I think it adds more charm and interest when everything is different. But I do make sure they look charming together.

Housepedia

I am not really the matchy-matchy type, and I feel that it takes a bit of work to make sure that the colors in my room are in perfect harmony. This is why I have beige blinds, which go well with any color.

GardenMomma

I don't even bother. No one sees the bedroom but us and we really don't care one way or another. Right now, I think we have dark blue black-out curtains with black and tan bedding. I almost had to go check to see what color curtains we had up!

Brady

Well, as my wife has a habit of saying "why do you want to get something that doesn't match?". That's pretty much the main rule in our house when it comes to buying stuff for the house. :)

GoodEnough

I'm lucky enough to live in an old house. The windows are framed in beautiful, unpainted wood molding. I can't bear to cover it up, so I just let the windows show.

GoodEnough

I like things to match. One trick I learned from my mother was to buy extra sheets and make simple curtains out of them. Then you definitely match!

Hypolita

I never thought about doing that, GoodEnough. I imagine making the curtains would not be too difficult and they would be cheaper than buying ready-made curtains.