Skip to content
Fun Facts about Dogs
- A dog’s whiskers are found on its muzzle, under its jaw and above its eyes. They are officially known as vibrissae. Dogs can actually feel a difference in air flow with these sensitive hairs.
- The most common name for a dog in the 21st century is Buddy. In the latter part of the 19th century, the most common dog name was Max. Other popular names for dogs over the years were Shep, Laddy, Lassie, Fido, Prince and King.
- Over one million dogs in North America are named as the beneficiary in their owner’s Will.
- Millie, Barbara Bush’s Springer Spaniel, is the most famous “First Dog,” to date.
- Dogs have approximately 2,000 taste buds compared to 9,000 in the mouth of humans. However, a dog’s nose has over 200 million scent receptors.